The Joliet Area Historical Museum – Old Joliet Prison is hiring! If you’re looking for part-time work in a fun and engaging atmosphere, this is the place for you!
MUSEUM AMBASSADOR PART-TIME (approx. 16 to 20 hours per week – $12.50 to $14.00 hr)
The Joliet Area Historical Museum (JAHM), a fully interactive, modern museum facility located in the heart of Joliet’s historic City Center, seeks an enthusiastic, resourceful, and reliable individual to serve as its Museum Ambassador (MA). The Museum property is owned by the City of Joliet. The Museum staff also coordinates all activities/tours at the Old Joliet Prison (OJP) facility. Background check required.
The MA position will afford you the unique opportunity to get involved in several areas of focus the Museum/OJP offer such as: greeting and acclimating guests in the Visitors Center, working in the Gift Shops, assisting with public and private tours/events at both the Museum and the Old Joliet Prison. Ongoing training and orientation opportunities will be available to help you excel in your role. Once you have had ample time to learn and work in different MA roles, you can choose an area(s) of focus that fits your skill and comfort level. In your role as a MA, you’ll have the unique opportunity of meeting guests from all over the world in our Museum’s Route 66 Visitors Center in downtown Joliet and our OJP facility on Collins Street. Ability to work weekdays, and some weekends & evenings required.
The successful applicant will:
• Work well in a team environment
• Be a fast learner
• Exhibit a professional and friendly demeanor (as you will be interacting with guests from all over the world)
• Be able to stand and walk on uneven ground for long periods of time (up to 4 hours) and tolerate various weather conditions (majority of activities at OJP are outside)
• Demonstrate comfort level in speaking in front of large groups
• Possess an affinity for JAHM’s mission, and maintain mutual professional conduct with co-workers and Museum stakeholders, commensurate with JAHM’s reputation as a visible and inclusive community cultural arts institution
• Be expected to assist other Museum staff as directed/requested
• Have ability to do some light lifting/moving as needed
• Verifiable experience in customer service and/or retail field
• Multi-lingual is a plus (especially Spanish)
Please submit your resume, 2 references, and any other pertinent application material to:
Scott Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org