Visitors should please note that because the site has been abandoned for over fifteen years, certain areas of the facility are off limits to the general public.
- To get member or resident discount, identification must be shown at check-in at the prison
- Tours are limited to guests ages 10 and older
- All participants will be required to sign a waiver of liability/hold harmless agreement prior to taking the tour
- Tours will meet at the Old Joliet Prison parking lot at 1125 Collins Street, Joliet, IL 60432
- Closed toe shoes should be worn and dress for the weather as tours will be happening rain or shine
Please check your calendar before purchasing your tickets. Once sold, tickets are non-refundable.
At the current time, tours are not ADA approved. 70% of the tour is accessible for all patrons.
Historical Tour10 years of ages and older
- 1.5 hour walking tour of the Old Joliet Prison lead by docents and trained tour guides from the Joliet Area Historical Museum. This tour talks about the general history of the prison from when it was first opened in 1858 to today. These historic tours are a great introduction to the site and its history.
- Discounts available for:
– Members and Joliet Residents: $15 (Identification must be shown at check-in at the prison)
– Combination Joliet Museum Pass and Prison Tour Ticket: $25 (a $28 value)
Haunted HistoryStrongly recommended for 16+
- 1.5 hour walking tour of the Old Joliet Prison covering the darker side of the Historical Prison. This historical tour will cover some of the more grim stories as you walk through the prison at dusk.
- Disclaimer: This tour does not involve ghost hunting.
Guard TourRecommended for ages 16+
- 1.5 hour walking tour of the Old Joliet Prison lead by two docents who worked at the prison while it was still in operation until 2002. You will hear about the daily life at the prison during their time there – a more personal take on the site’s history. Due the the mature nature, this tour is strongly recommended for 16+ and all minors must be accompanied by a guardian.
Photography TourMinimum 10 years of age
- 4 hours on the expansive Historic Prison site taking photos in the morning light with supervised access to the prison yard and predesignated buildings. The natural beauty of the limestone and architecture will inspire you.
- Building access is limited on site, please email email@example.com to see available buildings. No modeling permitted on these tours.